Monday 13 February 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First SightTitle: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Goodreads Av. Rating: 4.00
My Rating: 2
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
I can honestly say that I do not understand where all the hype surrounding this book has come from, in my opinion it is a very average mediocre book. There was nothing overally special nor addicting about it, the only thing that got me reading was just to see how it ended.
I'm not saying that it was a bad read, just nothing to me stood about to make it a memorable read.

The story follows Hadley and Oliver over a 24 hour period, who both have gone to London for a special event. Hadley misses the plane to her father's wedding and must wait til the next flight, which happens to be when she bumps into English guy Oliver, who after getting to know each other better, they both fall head over heels in love with one another.

Ok so it wasn't the storyline which caught my eye, I could not possibly comprehend how a book could be spaced over a mere 24hours, and I believe that it is probably near impossible, as proved by this book, I felt that contiously I was faced by boring filling scenes, to make the book longer, but barely was able to interest me.

I found romantic sparks fly through this book, which even made my heart skip a beat. Though these were rare occasions.

The book was written in third person, which I have a problem with anyway when it comes to Romance books, I felt that it limits how much of the characters emotions I feel while reading the books, and would really enjoyed to read Oliver's side of the story more.

The characters were both arguable relatable, though only in some aspects.
Unlike many other male character's, I felt no connection with Oliver, to be honest I found him to be annoying at times.
Hadley is a character who I hold mixed opinions on. I felt slightly sympathetic at the fact that she was not overjoyed about going to her father's wedding, to a person Hadley had never met, which is obviously quite hard for some people, but at the point of almost complete refusal to go, gave her quite a selfish side, and this was just where it began. Then she puts her own selfish needs, before her fathers and his new wife. She just was not written to be a likeable character.

3 comments:

  1. Love cover on the book:)Never hear about it before. Love to read it sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read a review that's not telling how wonderful the book is. I like to see a more 'negative' review to make up my mind. Still going to read it, but now I know that I must not have too high hopes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each and every success begins with the affirmation to try
    Yüz Germe

    ReplyDelete