Saturday 21 January 2012

Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

Title: Wildthorn
Author: Jane Eagland
Series: N/A
Goodreads Average Rating: 3.48
My Rating: 5
Seventeen-year-old Louisa Cosgrove longs to break free from her respectable life as a Victorian doctor's daughter. But her dreams become a nightmare when Louisa is sent to Wildthorn Hall: labelled a lunatic, deprived of her liberty and even her real name. As she unravels the betrayals that led to her incarceration, she realises there are many kinds of prison. She must be honest with herself - and others - in order to be set free. And love may be the key...
This book is by far, one of the greatest books I have read.
Intriguing and entertaining, along with historically factual information. This book is bound to keep you captured from beginning till end, with it's amazing and addictive storyline, and constant twists around every corner.

After seeing the beautiful cover alone I wanted to read this book, but as soon as I heard the storyline, I knew it would be a book I would forever love.

A time where women are not equal. When, women were expected to take care of chorus', and not know more than needed. A time where women would be claimed at a lunatic for even dreaming of a life outside of marriage.
I felt my almost none existent feminist side, shine through whilst reading this book, frowning in disgust at how women were once treated, and I began to feel happiness, that I am able to read such a book, which women would not of been able to read a little over a century ago.

The book alternates between the past and present of Lousia Cosgrove. Showing her childhood and why she found herself living the life of Lucy Child's in Wildthorn Lunatic Asylum, but also her life inside the asylum. I thought this was a really good idea of the author, as we under Lousia as a person and witness her natural personality as she grows up, but show how easy the mistreating within a mental home can change a person, and cause them to doubt their own sanity, when sane.

I believe the book was beautifully written by Jane, who has shown a clear skill in novel writing. The writing, is not only brilliant, but also distinctly correct for the Historical Era, when set, the way the character's speak emphasis the old fashion quality of this novel.
I felt a loss of control over my own emotions, and gave it up to the book, I felt angry when the book intended me to, I felt upset when the book intended me to, I do not think I have ever came across such an effective book, in all my reading history. The whole book was just so addicting, and keeping me reading as I turned each page, to the point of reading this book in nearly one sitting.

The character's were impressive and wonderfully casted into the roles they played in the story.
Lousia is a strong character, that even when she was put in a situation, which has proven to turn people insane, she still managed to hold onto her self and sanity. She doesn't care what society says about how she is expected to behave, and defies the 'norms' in following her own dreams. She is a true heroine, who I believe I can relate to, so very much.

As a psychology student, and knowing how these asylum's once were, I believe Jane did a brilliant job at making such an accurate portrayal, of such a horrible and torturous place.

No comments:

Post a Comment